Amazing Benefits of Prolonged Fasting
In this video, Dr. Berg talks about the 8 major benefits of prolonged fasting. Prolonged fasting is the fasting where you would go 48 to 72 hours or longer. The body goes into a survival mode when doing fasting.
Benefits of Prolonged Fasting:
- Regrow Brain Cells – the very specific parts of the brain including the hippocampus and the parts of the brain stem. The part of the hippocampus that has been regenerated has to do with memory.
- Increase Mitochondria – the mitochondria are the energy factories of the body. Incredible amounts of energy will be increased when you fast.
- Autophagy – A body condition whereby it recycles old damage proteins, microbes and mitochondria to build new tissue.
- Enhance Stem Cell Production – The stem cell is a cell without a purpose and is not differentiated into a specific cell yet. As you age, stem cell production goes down. Prolonged fasting is an amazing repair action.
- Decrease Inflammation – Prolonged fasting is essential to help someone get to the root cause of inflammation and the safe way to reduce it. All of the autoimmune diseases involve inflammation.
- Decrease Tumor Growth – Tumors cannot survive in ketones and doing the ketogenic diet runs your body on ketones.
- Increase Antioxidants – The body has an anti-oxidant network and doing prolonged fasting could cause the antioxidant levels to go up because this is where the body repairs and defends itself against microbes and other things.
- Cell Resistance to Stress – It helps the adrenals by increasing the stress tolerance and you are no longer running on the ups and down on sugar and is basically going into this repair mode where the body starts to increase the resistance to all sorts of stresses.
How to Do Prolonged Fasting?
• Gradually – Let your body tells you how long you go without eating to get used to it.
• Refeed Slowly – When you are done with your fast, don’t eat huge meals and you have to refeed slowly because it could shock the system eating too much.
• Electrolytes + Sea Salt
• Green Tea – Naturally decaffeinated would be good. It will increase the antioxidant levels
• EDTA – The chelator that pulls out heavy metals specifically excess iron, excess calcium and a lot of other minerals.
Prolonged Fasting or Intermittent Fasting is NOT Recommended to:
• Pregnant Woman
• Very Thin Person / Person who wants to gain weight